Hillside Paradise Parking Plots930 E James St, Kent, WA 98031, USA
King Conservation District partnered with World Relief, Kent to create a community garden on an acre of parking lot donated by Hillside Church at 930 East James in Kent. With the help of hundreds of volunteers, the 12,000 square feet of parking lot asphalt was removed and new soil was brought in to fill cinder block outlined garden beds. The garden is open for public use and easily accessible by over 1,000 immigrants and refugees settled in the area by World Relief. In addition to 50 garden beds, there will be 5 rain gardens, a pollinator garden and water catchment cisterns for irrigation.
All of the garden plots are rented for the 2018 growing season and gardeners represent the following 15 countries: Afghanistan, Burma, Bhutan, Nepal, Somalia, Iraq, Kenya, Haiti, Nigeria, Chad, Ukraine, US, Palestine, Bangladesh and Barbados.
Having a place to grow fresh, healthy, culturally relevant food is the goal of the Hillside Paradise Parking Plots Community Garden.
- Adds Organic Matter
- Improves Soil Structure (helps eliminate soil compaction and erosion)
- Increases Soil Fertility
- Suppresses Weeds
- Establishes Winter Habitat for Beneficial Insects
- More Reflections of a Growing Season October 22, 2018
- Reflections of a Growing Season October 8, 2018
- Yellowing in the Garden Explained August 1, 2018
- It’s Time to Think about Your Winter Veggie Garden June 14, 2018
- Creating an Urban Garden in White Center May 24, 2018
- St James Episcopal Church Community & Sharing Garden
- 24447 94th Ave S, Kent, WA 98030